Alma 37:6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Chapter 5

Wherein Asterisk and Meme keep their promise to babysit.
Asterisk: It's been a while since I've done any babysitting.
Meme: Don't worry, the kids love you, and that's the most important part.  That and changing diapers.

Asterisk: Diapers? 

Meme: Just kidding, all the girls are potty-trained. 
(Su and Meissa check out the play equipment)

Meme: Come to sister, Minnie! 
Meme: I actually babysit all the time.  All. The. Time.
Asterisk: How much do you charge?  I've heard that you can make quite a bit babysitting.

Meme: It all depends on who I'm babysitting for...and what I'm babysitting for.

Asterisk: What do you mean, "what"  you're babysitting for?

Meme: Can you grab the For the Strength of Youth booklet? It's over there, behind you.

Asterisk: Okay, okay, which section do you want me to turn to?

Meme: There should be a section on service

(Asterisk reads the section)

Asterisk: Let me see if I understand this...by serving others, we are serving God? I always thought of 'serving' as something waitresses do...and they not only get paid, but if they're really good, they get a big tip.

Meme: I guess the 'big tip' that you get from this kind of service is found on the inside.
Asterisk: On the inside? 

Meme: You know, your spirit.  The more I serve or help others, the closer I feel to Heavenly Father.
Asterisk: This kind of serving is pretty fun.  The little girls have been so good...it's easy to feel good about this kind of service. I'm guessing that service is not limited to easy stuff.

Meme: You got it. I've done a lot of different types of service, and my parents do even more.

Asterisk:  Like what?

Meme: My dad spent two years as a missionary in Chile.  He was just a couple of years older than us when he went.  He worked summers and weekends all through high school to earn the money to go.  He was able to pay for most of it by himself.  My mom is a seminary teacher.  She gets up at 4:30am every school day and teaches seminary to a bunch of sleepy teenagers.  She spends time every day preparing lessons...she has done this for years - all unpaid.

Asterisk: I guess my family does 'service' too. We always sign up to help at the food bank around the holidays, and my parents both donate blood whenever there is a blood drive.  That's service, isn't it?
Meme: Absolutely.  

No comments:

Post a Comment