Alma 37:6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Chapter 4

Wherein Asterisk and Meme take advantage of a little sunshine in order to do a little outdoor work.

Asterisk:  Your mom is pretty cool.

Meme:  You think so?

Asterisk:  Absolutely.  She's giving us free reign with her sewing stuff! We can make whatever we want with her fabric and even use her sewing machine.  My mom doesn't a)even own a sewing machine and b)wouldn't let anyone but herself touch it, if she did.

Meme:  You do realize that my mom's generosity comes with a price?

Asterisk:  She made it pretty clear.  Two hours of yard work and four hours of babysitting.  I don't mind.  It's not like I had anything planned for this weekend anyway.

Meme: Let's see how you feel after two hours of yard work.


Two hours later....

Asterisk:  Wow.  that was a lot of work.  I didn't know how much bending and squatting I'd have to do.  It was like a workout at the gym...but with dirty hands.

Meme:  I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow, for sure.


Asterisk:  Your mom must really love flowers.

Meme: She does, but what makes you think so?

Asterisk:  All the flower beds we just weeded!

Meme:  Oh.  They're not all flower beds.  The two big ones are for vegetables.

Asterisk:  You grow your own vegetables?  You do realize that we live in a town...not out in the country?

Meme: Yeah, we don't grow ALL of our own vegetables...in fact some years we hardly grow any, but my dad says that we should know HOW to grow them.
Asterisk:  Why do you need to know how to grow your own vegetables?  Isn't that what grocery stores are for?  Are your parents into "prepping"...you know...getting ready for doomsday or whatever?

Meme:  In a way, they are...and in a way they aren't...How far have you read in the For the Strength of Youth booklet? 

Asterisk:  I think I'm about half way through.  I just finished reading about Honesty and Integrity

Meme:  There's a section, near the end, I think, that talks about being "self reliant".  That's why my parents "practice" having a garden...it's not so much about preparing for doomsday, as it is about being, well, prepared.  Prepared for whatever life throws your way.  


Asterisk:  Self reliant.  Hmm...I like the sound of that.  But haven't I heard you talk about being "reliant" on the Lord?  I hate to say it, but that sounds sort of contradictory.


Meme:  Yeah, I may have mentioned it...because it's true.  It's also true that we should do whatever we can to help ourselves.  It's like a scripture I memorized for seminary.   "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works."(James 2:17-18)
Asterisk: So, you're telling me that you show your faith in God by doing things?  I thought we were saved by grace...not by anything we can do.

Meme: I'm studying the Book of Mormon in seminary this year...there's a scripture in it that says something like "we are saved by grace...after all we can do" (2 Nephi 25:23).  

Asterisk: I guess that makes sense.  I just wish I knew what I'm supposed to do!

Meme:  Would you like me to introduce you to the sister missionaries.  I think they might be able to answer your questions better than I can.

Asterisk: That would be cool, but I'd better ask my parents first.

Meme: Are we still on for babysitting the twins next Friday night?

Asterisk: I can't wait! After they go to bed maybe we can decide what pattern and fabric to use to make skirts.


No comments:

Post a Comment